This property was first settled in 1862 by Scottish farmer James McCallum in Huron County. The Scottish were experts in stone masonry as seen by the construction of the exterior of the house.
The best feature of course was the winding staircase. It began to break away from the wall after many years of elements entering from a gap in the roof. The upstairs ceiling has now fallen down and covers the top of the staircase.